Recent research reveals nearly half (46%) of New Zealand children are not playing actively every day. 
Students gain more benefit from physical activity if they have opportunities to be active at regular times during the day.
There is a strong correlation between being physically active as a student and being physically active in adulthood.
Academic performance is improved by regular participation in physical activity.
What WAVE can do:
- Encourage physical activity opportunities in other parts of the curriculum
- Develop resources and guidelines to increase physical activity
- Identify ways of making it easier for the setting community to be involved in physical activity
- Support settings to connect with community physical activity/sport organisations and clubs
- Increase awareness and knowledge of the importance of being physically active for staff, students, and the wider community
 Schofield, G. (2012). The New Zealand state of play report. Wellington, New Zealand.