Also see the Sexual Health Health Topic page to find out how WAVE can support your ECE/School with Sexual Health education.
For more information see:
- Community & Public Health - Promoting positive and responsible sexual health
- Community & Public Health - Community Health Information Centre (CHIC) Sexual Health resources
- Community & Public Health - Community Health Information Centre (CHIC) Gay & Lesbian Health resources
- Education Review Office (ERO) - Promoting wellbeing through education
- Family Planning Association - Sexual Health resources
- Just the Facts - Aims to provide simple, up to date information about STIs and related issues
- The Light Project - Equipping young people, their whānau and communities to positively navigate the new porn landscape.
- Office of Film & Literature Classification - Talking with young people about what they're watching
- Netsafe - Practical tools, support and advice for managing online challenges
- RainbowYOUTH - Provides support and a number of services for queer and gender diverse youth and their wider NZ communities.
- NZ Health Education Association (NZHEA) - Sexuality Education
- NZ Health Education Association (NZHEA) - Teaching and learning about pornography in health education (for students in years 9-13)
Ministry of Education
Sexuality education is one of seven key areas of learning in the health and physical education learning area of the New Zealand Curriculum. Schools are expected to include sexuality education in their teaching programmes, guided by the achievement objectives outlined in the curriculum. The materials provides are for teachers and students which are designed to support schools to develop and implement their sexuality education programmes.
Family Planning Association
YMCA South Canterbury - Resiliency Toolkit
Through the YMCA's Resiliency Toolkit they are working ‘at the top of the cliff’ with 14-18 year olds in secondary schools across the region to build important life skills in stress management, decision-making around alcohol and drugs, healthy relationships, cybersafety and peer mentoring.
Mates and Dates
Mates & Dates is a programme that helps young people have healthy and happy relationships; all kinds of relationships, including family and friends. It also covers consent and identifying potentially harmful situations. Mates & Dates is being taught in secondary schools by the YMCA Mid and South Canterbury team.
Qtopia provides support for rainbow young people in the wider Waitaha Canterbury area through their youth groups, whānau support and resources. They also run diversity and inclusion workshops for schools, workplaces and community.