Also see the Auahi Kore / Smokefree Health Topic page to find out how WAVE can support your ECE/School with being Smokefree.
For more information see:
- Community & Public Health - Working towards a smokefree / auahi kore future
- Community & Public Health - Community Health Information Centre (CHIC) Smokefree resources
- Community & Public Health - Smokefree Public Spaces
- The Fresh Air Project - Mackenzie and Geraldine districts
- Smokefree.org - Smokefree by 2025
- VapingFacts.Health.org - Facts about Vaping
- Te Hiringa Hauora - Tobacco control
- Kick Ash - South Canterbury District Health Board's local smoking cessation support
- Arowhenua Whānau Service - Local smoking cessation support
- Quitline - If you are ready to quit smoking, Quitline can support you with a plan designed to help you beat the smoking addiction.
- WAVE - WAVE Newsletter extracts - Health Focus on Smokefree
Drive Smokefree for Tamariki
On 28 November 2021, New Zealand will enact legislation that makes smoking in cars with children under 18 a fineable offence. This will bring us in line with a number of countries around the world. The Ministry of Health has commissioned Te Hiringa Hauora to deliver a social norming, awareness and education campaign to be in place 8 months before the law becomes effective, so that communities have the opportunity to understand the changes and individuals can modify behaviours.
Campaign Page: https://www.smokefree.org.nz/drivesmokefreefortamariki
Download resources: https://www.hpa.org.nz/drive-smokefree-for-tamariki-resources
Does your school, kura, ECE or kōhanga reo require Kaua e momi haurehu (No vaping) or Auahi kore (No smoking) stickers? Go to the following link to order resources and print your own stickers:
Little Lungs - Pūkahukahu Iti
Supporting and advocating for Smokefree environments for our tamariki
Contact your WAVE Facilitator for more information.
Smokefree at Schools
A smokefree school involves the whole school community. When parents, whānau and staff are working together with a shared understanding of what keeps young people smokefree, it increases young people’s chance of remaining smokefree for life.
The "Our Smokefree School/He Kura Auahi Kore: A Practical Guide to Being a Smokefree Community" is designed to support schools to embrace the smokefree kaupapa. The resource will help you to gather information so that you can understand the issue your community faces and plan an ongoing smokefree initiative that will meet your school’s particular needs.